Custom Wire Harnesses
Wire Harness Assemblies & Services
Wire harnesses transmit signals or electrical power in wide range of equipment, tools and vehicles which includes industries such as appliances, heavy equipment, medical equipment, defense weapons, and electronics. They’re made from groupings of cables, wires, and subassemblies. At their most basic, wire harnesses are constructed from three components, wires, terminals, and connectors, but they can become highly complex to handle multiple branches, safety features, and termination points.
Custom wire harnesses are the core of electronic applications. Manufacturers must build precise wire harness designs to ensure their products run efficiently and reliably.
Wire Harness Design and Manufacturing Process
Every wire harness needs to match the geometric and electrical requirements of the device or appliance for which it’s used. Wire harnesses typically are entirely separate pieces from the large manufactured components that house them. This brings a number of benefits, which include:
- Simple manufacturing processes by creating wiring for drop-in installation
- Easy disconnecting and current analysis for troubleshooting, disassembly, and part repair
- Simple installation processes with wire harnesses that include all of a product’s wires, cables, and subassemblies with quick connect/disconnects.
Each wire and terminal can be configured to match the exact length, dimensions, and layout of the main product it is connecting to. Wires can also be colored and labeled to streamline installation and maintenance.
The manufacturing process starts with design and schematic development. It then moves to prototyping. Finally it goes into production. Operators assemble wire harnesses on drawn out test boards which confirms precisely measured wire lengths. The board also confirms that the designed terminal and connector housings that suit the application is being used, and that cable ties and coverings are added for easy organization and transport.
Although automation plays an important role in all manufacturing processes, the complexity of the end product means that many sub-steps of assembly process must be done by hand. Wire harness cable assembly is a multifaceted process. The main steps of this process include:
- Installation on the wires, terminals, and connectors on the build board
- Installation of specialty components such as relays, diodes, and resistors.
- Installation of cable ties, tapes, and wraps for internal organization
- Wire cutting and crimping for reliable terminal connection points